How Installing Solar Window Film Can Create Energy-Efficient Spaces Just in Time for Earth Day 2023
Earth Day 2023 is approaching, and individuals across the globe are gearing up to think of different ways to lower their environmental impact. One of the easiest ways to achieve this is to reduce energy consumption by installing solar window film to residential or commercial windows.
Understanding Energy Consumption and the Benefits of Solar Window Film
Windows are the primary source of heat gain and loss and can contribute to up to 40% of a home or business’s energy loss. This especially holds true for structures with large windows, or ones located in areas with hot summers or cold winters.
To reduce heat gain and loss, many are looking to window film as a solution. Window film can help lower the amount of heat entering or leaving windows by reflecting or absorbing the heat. This, in turn, can help regulate indoor temperature and lower energy consumption by reducing the need for heating or air conditioning. Not only that, but window film can also reduce glare, prevent UV damage to furniture and flooring, and offer privacy.
How Solar Window Film Can Help Reduce Energy Usage
Now that the basics of solar window film are understood, let’s dive into how it can help lower energy usage:
- Lowering cooling costs: Solar window film can help reduce the heat entering a home or business by absorbing and reflecting the sun’s rays, thereby reducing the need for air conditioning. This can help lower cooling costs, especially during sweltering summers. For instance, Solar Window Film can reduce solar heat gain by up to 80%.
- Lowering heating costs: During cold winters, window film can help retain heat indoors, reducing the need for heating. This is achieved by preventing heat loss through windows, which can account for up to 30% of heating costs.
- Lowering lighting costs: Window film can also help reduce the need for artificial lighting by simultaneously allowing ample natural light to enter and filtering out harmful UV rays. The process of allowing a controlled admission of natural light into a space is known as daylighting – which helps makes an environment brighter and more comfortable, while reducing as much as one-third of total building energy costs. As residential and commercial buildings continue to trend toward more and larger windows, daylighting with effective window film is an absolute necessity.
How to Choose the Right Window Film
Here are some factors to consider when choosing the correct window film:
- Climate: For buildings in warm to hot climate zones, the goal should be to keep the heat out. This can be accomplished by choosing a solar film with a lower solar heat-gain coefficient (SHGC) to reduce the amount of heat entering. The lower the SHGC, the better the performance. For colder climate zones, the goal is to keep the heat in. Choosing a passive solar control film with a higher SHGC will help retain heat inside.
- Purpose: Aside from reducing heat, solar window film can perform several other functions, like reducing glare and offering privacy. Transitional film is another type of window film that is ideal for maximizing daylighting and controlling solar heat gain only when needed.
- Aesthetics: Window film comes in a variety of tints that can enhance an interior’s aesthetics and add value to a property. Adding window film to existing, specifically older, windows can give elevations a fresh new look.
Reducing Environmental Impact and Saving Money
Not only is installing solar window film a great first step toward helping the planet, but it is a cost-effective solution to improve the performance of existing windows without having to fully replace them. Replacing windows can be expensive, with costs ranging from $150 to $1,500 per window, averaging around $300 per window.
In addition to the cost savings, installing window film supports the 3 R’s: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. By improving the performance of existing windows, the need for new materials and waste generated from window replacements is eliminated. This can be particularly beneficial for renovations and adaptive reuse projects, where the goal is to repurpose existing buildings rather than demolish and start from scratch.
Earth Day 2023 and Sustainability
Earth Day is about protecting all natural resources, and LEED requirements support this mission by promoting sustainable building design. Solar window film is ideal for bringing existing buildings up to current code requirements to save energy and create better indoor comfort. Particularly for renovation and adaptive-reuse projects, this can contribute to LEED certification, which recognizes and rewards buildings for their environmental performance. By installing window film, building owners can take a step toward creating a more sustainable future while improving their indoor comfort and saving money.
As Earth Day 2023 approaches and everyone works towards building a more sustainable future, installing CoolVu Solar Window Film is an excellent way for homeowners and businesses to take a step toward reducing their environmental impact.
Those interested in learning more about reducing energy costs with window film can fill out an Energy Audit Request Form for a cost-savings estimate or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.